Tuesday 8 July 2014

What Was I Thinking AKA It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

I can't believe I'm telling you this!

I did it...  I laced up my shoes and went for a run.  Well, maybe more of a slow jog all the while wondering to myself and maybe out loud a little bit "what the hell were you thinking?"

You know how you can talk yourself into or out of something.  Eating fries, that third tequila, new shoes, going to the gym...etc.  In or out you can sway your body to do what your mind wants or doesn't at that particular moment.  Apparently my crazy ass mind decided it wants to run again.  It has actually wanted to pound the pavement for some time, I've just managed to squash the voices like a bug until today.

So, I got into the car and drove to Beacon Hill Park to run.  I could have gone downtown without the car but as it has been pointed out to me today - it's frickin hot outside today!  And there's lots of people on the sidewalks mid afternoon to get in my way (or trip over, let's be real here it's me we are talking about). So off to the waterfront I drove.

The breeze was awesome, not going to lie!  The sun felt good and the tunes in my ears were just as I remembered.  The problem was my feet....who replaced my feet with lead when I was asleep?  Holy crap!  It was almost like I had forgotten how to walk, let alone run!  So, more self talk...you can do this, suck it up and just get moving...the usual.  Slowly, one foot in front of the other, I started moving forward.  Walk/run/walk/run...having my injury history I don't want to move too quickly at first.  Run 1 minute, walk 30 seconds for this week to see how things go.  I didn't die, so I think to my self "so far so good".

I felt sluggish, leaden and really old while I was running today.  Not at all like I had hoped.  It appears I have a bunch of work to do to get my body back to its "I love running" form.  One step at a time I suppose.  Not easy for me - the queen of instant gratitude!  My run schedule is printed out and posted by my computer.  My week is planned and my half marathon entry fee has been paid for October.  No turning back now.

I have to remember that with every step I take I am lapping everyone still on the couch.

Till next time!

Kathi


No comments:

Post a Comment