Tuesday 8 July 2014

Here We Go Again...Running - I Love That Shit

I can't believe I'm telling you this...

I love to run - I think.  I actually believe I have an unhealthy love/hate relationship with running.  As a heavy child and teenager the thought of running was scary.  I was always involved in sports and sports teams as a teenager and lived in fear of being forced to run.  I always felt I never measured up and never quite ...got there.

As a younger adult I never really thought about running as recreation, fitness or therapy.  I actually can't remember ever thinking about running at all.  It wasn't until my weight had crept up really high and my fitness level was in the toilet that I even considered running to be something I might do.

Let me be clear here - I am not a sprinter by any definition of the word.  I am a slow(er) runner.  I think my best 10K finish time is just over an hour.  I am also not what the world would consider a "pretty" runner.  I sweat, turn red, my hair gets messy and generally I look like hell.  Doesn't matter the distance or speed.  I look like shit after a run.  But I always feel great, that is why I think I love running.



Unfortunately for me I have not had the best experience with running.  I have been hurt (knocked down) during a race that resulted in a misdiagnosed injury that still haunts me 5 years later.  The result is a leg shorter than the other. Just a little, but enough that every step is impacted.  Being fit now and feeling invincible I did a half marathon without specific training and ended up being sent to the hospital with a suspected blood clot or compartment syndrome in my leg.  It's no wonder that when I bring up the subject of running, my husband just says no.

But,I love to run.  I love to run alone.  Just me, my music and fresh air.  Love it!  I love the race day anticipation and the feeling of being a part of the day. So I am about to embark on another running adventure.  Round 4 if you will.  I have taken part in 3 half marathons - two were not so bad...love the distance...and one disastrous.  My goal is to finish the half in a respectable time (to be determined) and not get hurt, bitten by a dog or embarrassed by a 75 year old.  I think it's a great opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and face a relatively new/old fear and check something else off my list of things to accomplish.  It's also a great opportunity to produce more writing material and a GREAT chance to laugh at myself and maybe make someone else laugh too.

So, here we go.....

I will keep you posted!

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment